Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas Classic

The following is a discombobulated summary of the holiday week (events and thoughts)...well, because isn't it all a
blur for everone at this point?!
Why is it a classic, you ask? Because the ultimate surprise occurred...my Mom and Dad were here!
Even now when I look back on it it seems like a dream. It all went by so fast! One day they surprise us with their visit...then its Christmas Eve...Day...and then before I knew it a whole week went by and they had to take the drive back to Arkansas.
I added this classic thought to my Christmas Eve ritual. Since I was a tween I have taken the time each Eve to sit on the couch, stare at the tree, drink a hot cup of tea or cocoa, and ponder. My first thought always goes to how lucky I am to even be here. For those that may not know, I was born 3.5 mos premature at 1# 8 oz. I was supposed to arrive on Christmas Eve back in 1978 and instead slipped out on Sept. 15th. The miracle of it all is that fact that I held on and came eventually came home on Christmas Eve. I always think about what may have been going through my parents minds as they brought me home. My mom swears she always knew (you know that maternal instinct) I would survive. My dad on the other hand had his battles with the Lord and anyone else that would listen to a scared new father. I cannot imagine how difficult it must have been. Needless to say, I am lucky and grateful for each day of my life. That is why I try my best to make it just as memorable for my own family. My next thought this year was how lucky I am to be where I am at today. My 3 boys (and 1 girl) are ME. I often think I do not know who I really am without them. Probably something I should work on I guess but don't really have the motivation to. I suppose that really isn't all that healthy and if a girlfriend of mine shared that info I would express concern but who ever takes their own advice?! They need me and I need them.
No more, no less and that seems pretty simple
enough to add any other junk to.
And who wouldn't want to sit and relax by this beauty? I was really proud of our tree this year. I continue to build on the silver and blue (something I began the year we had our first lil' guy in 2005-I couldn't decide on a color theme and then it hit me-blue for a boy!). Next year I want to add bigger elements of silver. I swear if we ever have a girl that will be the year for pink! And our tree became even more beautiful in my eyes with the addition of this ornament.Every year Ninang Leslie (Charito's cousin and T's godmom/ninang) makes us a memorable photo ornament. Years past have included a photo of us the year we were engaged, pics of T, pic of our dearly missed cousins Jimmy n Jacob and now our two flips! Thank you oh so much Leslie! (See Alysa, you can do those ornaments you mentioned with a watery glue base, glitter and photos! Brilliant!)
This Christmas Eve was so quiet. The boys fell asleep so early and before I knew it the clock said 9 pm and Charito and I were busy wrapping gifts and doing the "Santa" thing. Even Bry couldn't wait. She caught Charito filling her stocking and wanted it NOW! We kept telling her she had to wait (this was all Charito's fault bc I explained to him he was doing this way too early. I do hers in the morning so she can't sniff it out). Daddy was busted! Here she is pouting!

Sooooo our lil' girl! With scary human-like qualities to her.
Back to what made it a classic...I did make the most of our time together. The boys and I stayed the night several times in Roselle and then of course had our usual Harper din dins. Dad and I got in some goofy "WOW and DADDO" last minute shopping. I left mom with all 3 boys which undoubtedly brought back some memories of raising 3 kiddos. She looked a little haired when dad and I pulled up. Grayson's "Oh yeah, I am awake now and you have no more than 3 seconds to get a bottle in my mouth" screeching did not help matters! And the way T and Ayden bump into their own little arguments makes it pretty hard to keep a straight face during the disciplining of it all. They wittingly send each other to a nearby adult as a form of punishment OR as a way to end the dispute as soon as possible before hitting becomes the dreaded finale. Here's a generic sample:

Loud noise/shuffling/crashing/tears indicating a
Squabble over a toy or book or the world, who knows!
T or A: "It's mine!"
T or A: " No, mine!"
T: "I said it's my turn!"
A: "Don't talk me like that!"
T: "Yes, I can! Listen to my sentence! " (he got that from me, lil' shit)
A: "You go to Wowie (that's me) OR Grampa OR Mommy" OR whomever is in the room.
Then tears by both parties. And most often an item taken away.
It really is difficult to keep a straight PARENT face while this is going on. Amy and I just glance at each other with that hint in our eyes to keep it together at least until the boys leave the room. Plenty of these occurred during the grandparent visit because it is safe to say all regular routines are pretty much out the window when Gramma and Grampa are home. As my mom says, " All rules are null and void. The only rules are Gramma rules." And the boys have to fight for attention amongst each other and from others. It is also hard when all of this takes place on Ayden's turf and throws his household up in the air. The proof of all this came when the boys functioned without naps or late bedtimes (yes, one evening we slept over and T did not "shut down" til 3 am. Yeah, you read that number right!). But, it is what we do to take in all we can of their visit. Us adults don't want it to end either. There was even a night when we stayed up late playing Wii. My first time and I wasn't half bad either! I am my mother's daughter when I can bowl just like her!
Mom and Dad seemed to enjoy their "made with love"pottery that the 8 of us Kiddos created. Not to mention the family photo of us all. It truly was a "Harper Day of Fun".
Toss in a Christmas Eve with the Lulas and Lulo (Charito's immediate family), a Santa visit from Uncle Kevin at our home, and a Christmas day with my family and you get the following snippits!

Fun in the snow, as he tries to throw a snowball at me!

Sleepovers with Gramma and Bonka...

Ayden and Triston spent alot of time watching the train under the tree whiz by! They both are mesmerized by trains!

Hanging out with Gramma and Bonka in my Christmas jambos from Gramma.
Morning hour...look out Titz McGee (name of daddy's band) here comes Little Rice (my parents call Ayden "Little" and well, do I have to explain the rice reference?). Rock Band 2009 baby!
Santa( I mean Uncle Kevin) visited our home. SSHHH! T told him he wanted trains and Tinkerbell for Xmas.
Christmas Eve with my Filipino fam! Lula (daddy's mommy)Go on, admit it...I am one handsome dude!
Christmas Day
Triston woke up to a running train under the tree, candy canes that only Santa delivers and places on the tree ( a tradition Charito and I wanted to start) and a whole lot of presents. His favs included 2 Polar Express train sets, Woody and Buzz Lightyear. The first thing we heard from his voice as he headed down the stairs, "Oh, my gosh! Look at all the presents appear! Mommy. Daddy. Come look and see!"

Yay, my first Christmas morn! Can you tell I am soooo excited!
Obsession defined as the need to sit ever so curiously and amazed and watch my new Lionel Polar Express train circle over and over again around my Christmas tree!
Thank you Lulo (Charito's dad)!

As if he was thinking, "Yeah, I think...no, I KNOW I can build this Lego set with daddy! Just watch me!"
Yes, I could not have asked for a better holiday! Thank you, Mom, Dad, Sis Amy, Bros Mike and Neal, The Lulas and Lulo, my hubby and MY FISH...and lil' gal Bryley Willow. Hugs and Kisses to all! Good times!

No comments:

Post a Comment