Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Filipino in him

Several weeks ago MamaC mentioned to me she had tons of eggplant in her backyard. I was a little confused by this bc in past years her garden has consisted of bitter melon, hot peppers and green beans. I asked what type and she said, " Japanese eggplant". SOLD! That is my favorite. So, she brought me a stash (along with homemade longaneesa sausage which she only makes twice a year when she receives enormous orders from friends and family). I have been going eggplant crazy in our house. How you want yours? Deep fried w breading, eggplant parmigiano, fried with garlic? I fell in love with eggplant when I had one of the best dishes at Ben Pao-Dragon noodles and the sauteed eggplant dish. I love how spicy it is!
After I ran out of my first supply of eggplant I went over to dear mother-in-law's for more. I couldn't believe the abundance of eggplant plants all over the place. She wasn't kidding when she told me she had tons! I was in heaven. And as Triston helped her pick eggplant to place into a To Go bag for us I thought to myself " he better enjoy this garden experience because he will not see anything like this in his own backyard". We are not green thumb-ers by any means.
Grayson and Lula Mel observing the harvest
Mamac pointed out this is the national flower of the Philippines. Even I learned something that day!
It turned out to be a double whammy kinda visit-Triston saw his first homemade garden (others have been at Botanic or Morton Arboretum) and he had fun harvesting with Lula. It was a cute grandmotherly moment to observe. Bring on the eggplant, Lula!

No comments:

Post a Comment