His bday present from Jack Skellington of A Nightmare Before Christmas-a pumpkin train
He was really into that movie the past few mos. I thought it would be cute to get a present from a Disney character since he keeps asking when Mickey is going to invite him back to Disney World
Dear Triston,
Where have the years gone? As I sat in Belmonte's office during your 5 yr checkup I couldn't believe it had already been 5 yrs ago he had entered our lives, the day you were born. He is a godsend and you are my first blessing!
You need to know that you are an amazingly beautiful boy. Everything about you sparkles, just like when you were a baby with those sparkling, smiling eyes. Your sense of humor, interests, inquisitive mind, compassion and joy for life all sparkle. BRIGHT! I love that about you.
I feel like we are always adding to your list of interests and enjoyments. You recently (were allowed to) got into Thomas trains but have loved trains of all kinds for years. You talk of the adventurous destinations trains will take you one day. I believe it. I heart your love for the Polar Express. It has become a family tradition movie and this year we turned your bday party into a Polar Express theme. It was perfect for you Grayson. He has followed your lead with that movie for 2 years now and I look forward to pulling that movie out every year. Although it seems you two are asking for it earlier and earlier each year. This year our first view was in September!
You still enjoy pirates. Not the sword fighting, rough housing re-enactments side of them but the history behind them. How they lived day to day. What they needed or did to survive the high seas. The names of the sections of the ships. What made them who they are. You are my history buff.
The same goes for geography. We can thank your early years with the Little Einsteins for that. Your interest in non-fiction books and the globe took flight from there. Your list of places to visit and discover is endless. I admire you wonder and awe with the world around us. You have an array of questions that I hope you reach your answers to someday.
You have the mind of a problem-solver. There IS an answer for everything. There must be in your eyes. You are a techie, an engineers mind, always looking to solve the mystery or figure out the possibilities. I see this in the way you play and interact. I see it in what you choose to read-the planets, what happened to the dinosaurs, mystery books, and science shows. You want all the facts before making a hypothesis (you even use that term as well as prediction and solution). You are a fact finder. Always wondering why. Because as a response hasn't cut it for awhile!
That techie in you has been asking for a Touch n Brush for mos now. One day I know I will find it torn apart bc you just had to know how it works. Grandma and Grandpa bought you a automatic soap dispenser for Christmas for the same reason. Santa added a Snuggie under the tree bc it seemed like such an adult thing to do-cuddle on the couch with a book (something us adults have to MAKE time for and you get to do it any chance you get...and you do).
You love science kits. Santa even brought you a microscope for xmas.
This Christmas you took a liking to anything Gingerbread. Something about them fascinated you. I took care of it with gingerbread-making kits, books and cookies. Although, you are all about making them and not eating them. You are like me. Every year I take the chance that maybe THIS will be the year I like the taste (bc you and I def love the smell) and no such luck. Maybe a new level of Christmas excitement (bc boy was it insane this year as I have noticed with each passing year. You even thought the Santa at your bday party was Uncle Kevin. After discussing how busy santa is, which you agreed, we determined that Santa has helpers)?
You really get into shows like Fetch with Ruff Ruffman (scavenger hunt like mysteries), Electric Company, Where is Carmen Sandiego, Scooby-doo, Mythbusters, Gold Rush, Dirty Jobs, Planet Earth and Life. Of course you still enjoy kiddie preschool shows but your smarts pull toward more mature shows. I am personally struggling with what to allow you to watch. You are forced to watch kiddie shows for Grayson's sake and yet I hear you mention the "big boy" shows your classmates watch. Those I can screen beforehand are frustrating. So much fighting and language I just disapprove of. I know I cant protect you from it forever but I also dont want you to feel left out from your peers. They are all watching those superhero shoes, IronMan movies, Bakugan,etc. You even have some of those products yourself bc of gifts from others and you know of them from commercials but you don't actually watch them. You are simply aware of them. For now it is enough for you to keep up with peers bc somehow you figure out the scheme or play tactic but I know it won't be long. I mean, afterall, I was totally into He-man and She-ra and GI Joe as a little girl so I guess I will be giving in soon.
But as much as you tackle on male play schemes you have a sensitive side to you. You are such an affectionate child. You are not embarrassed (at least not yet) by princess/fairy items, movies or books. You in fact want to save the damesoille in distress, all the while feeling sorry for her. It is too sweet. And whether it's recent events in G's life or an emotional growth spurt you have been really sensitive to shows we could watch together, like House and Grey's. You liked the medical aspect of it. But in the past week I found you crying during parts that depicted a character upset or distraught over an event in the storyline. Particularly sad scenes. I would realized you were crying and you would look at me with these tear-filled eyes and ask me to turn it off. I would. It hurt me to see you like that. Were you tapping into deeper emotions or simply relating to the character's pain as us adults do during a sappy commercial? All you could explain to me is that it made you sad to see that boy ____, woman ____, whatever their situation. My poor guy! You may be feeling a little insecure lately as well. You crave more hugs and kisses and I love yous lately. You confirm whether we are proud of you or if we are upset with you over a tiny mistake ("spilled milk" kinda things). We are doing our best to assure you are loved beyond words and will not be forgotten in the chaos. We give you your space but suck up the lovin when you want it. There are plenty of mommy dates in your future kiddo! You are just as important as any other child in this family and so loved!
You also tap into mommy's girlie side. Often wanting to assist me with my makeup or put my gel in my hair for me. You nuzzle next to me when I am vegging out on a fashion mag putting your two cents in here and there. I will never forget your obsession with a Victoria Secret mag when you were little. You kept saying how pretty every girl was. And weeks ago I was paging through a mag and you stopped me before I could turn the page and exclaimed, "Now that's fashion!". You always make me laugh.
You are an old soul at times. I can't believe the things that come out of your mouth sometimes. Your vocabulary continues to impress us.
You are organized, with methods to your madness, just like mommy. I appreciate your order and precision. You do have a worrisome side to you that I am trying to tame a bit. But I do realize with worry comes thought and I would never want to smoosh your thought processes regarding life and questions to be answered.
You are ridiculous when you are tired. There are times when you hit this Tired Wall and there is no stopping the emotional demons you locked up for some time period. You become so sad and you cant think. A nap or mommy-shared vent session ( I, too, rely on those mommy and T crying fits) is the only cure. I hurt for that side of you. Why? Bc I get the exact same way. I can only imagine what goes on in that head of yours, forced to carry as much as you have HAD to the past 6 mos. Either way, we deal with when it comes and handle it together. That is what daddy and I are here for.
But let's talk of more pride we have for you------
You are sooooo good with your brothers. You dont mind being my errand boy. You actually ask to hold and feed Caden. You include Grayson in your play (up until he wallops you with some projectile object out of his frustrations). You are patient and kind. You offer calming words to Caden when he is upset, like "Dont worry, Caden. Mommy will be right back. She is making your dinner. I am right here. I will stay with you." You make him laugh uncontrollably. You are THE BEST big bro! Even as I write this you are multi-tasking between pushing G in a laundry basket and making Caden laugh as you pass by him! Too cute. You think of them so often. Making sure they are not without the same as you. Just as G is sure to grab an extra piece of food or a green bowl or cup (bc green is your fav color) for you.
You continue to enjoy puzzles (75+), worksheet and books with mazes, dot-to-dots, board games and word games, letter and numeral workbooks and of course, books.You are reading at a 1st grade level. You astound us! I cannot leave anything lying around that you shouldn't know of bc you WILL read it. A perplexing issue for your father and I, I tell ya. Even for your teacher, too.
You love fruits, except tomatoes, kiwi and watermelon. You love raw and cooked veggies, except beets. You do not like milk in your cereal. You love so many foods! And sweets of all kinds-your favs being swedish fish and sour patch kids. I even catch you stealing my pop!
I love that you share so much of your thoughts with us. Your dreams, nightmares, hopes, wishes, plans for the present and the future. You are truly concerned of Grayson's health and it scares you, as it does daddy and I. But the fact that you understand the science of his condition helps you see the hope and labor in all this. You are that kind of boy! Unique and all ours! We love you oodles and a google, big 5 yr old! We are forever proud of you. Keep it coming-Carper style!
Checking out his birthday pumpkin train from Jack Skellington of A Nightmare Before Christmas. He was so into the movie the past few mos I thought it would be cute for him to get a gift from the character himself. I couldn't pass up that pumpkin train on sale from Oriental Trading Company. Still waiting for the Gingerbread Train to go on sale.
LOVE,
YOUR PROUD MOMMY




No comments:
Post a Comment