Tuesday, June 29, 2010

To My Big Boy Triston



Mommy thoughts for you before your littlest brother arrives!

Oh, MY MR. MAGOO-


Where do I begin? You have accomplished so much in your fast going 4 and half years of childhood! First off, I / we are so proud of you! Cannot be said enough.



Your lovey dovey affection melts me everyday. I stopped counting months ago the number of times you toss an 'I Love U Mommy' my way out of the blue. It's sweet. And WOW the way you are with your brother Grayson! Other than the expected bickering that is bound to happen here and there you two play so well together. I love hearing your quiet, patient voice when you ask him to play something or any other question. You really think about your words and how to relate to him being younger than you. And boy does he appreciate it. I cannot tell you enuf how he adores you. Isnt it evident with the way he imitates EVERYTHING you do (even the bad stuff). You were so excited to have him share your room and its going well. Thank you for being your caring self! Oh and thank you for (most of the time) not retaliating on your brother when he whacks you across the head or throws some obscenely large train at you! I know hes trying to be a toughy and assert himself but I appreciate your pause for mommy intervention. Sorry he uses you as a punching bag. He is just impatient at this time (hopefully not lasting forever!)

And the things you have learned this year. I still cannot believe we can say you have finished your first year of school. Not only did you share so many new notions and experiments and stories with us all year long they have stuck w/ you. You recall and relate them to your daily life on so many occasions. The things that come out of your mouth! You have quite the scientific mind for life. As I have said before. You keep me on my toes! I cant quite stay ahead of you on the intellect side of it all. Between reading and problem solving you floor me! You have always had a solution to any prob facing you, even as a nonverbal infant and rising toddler I watched you conquer it all. I WANT you to continue to do so. It is a skill you posess well and will take you far.

You love to sing and lately you have been coming up with your own songs. Funny ones at that! You still love puzzles, art and books (especially informational textbooks) and trains (as much as I try to limit our Thomas exposure!). You love water and yard time. You enjoy some sportstime and are still trying to find you niche with that aspect of boyhood. Dont worry...we'll try this and that and see what fits. And if nothing at all then we stick with that artistic and scientific side of you that can flourish. Next on the list to try-ice skating/hockey, soccer. Baseball doesnt seem to be your thing but no biggie. We gave it a try and it has been great for you and Coach daddy to have your own thing this spring and summer. Its been the perfect organized sport to start off with and I have enjoyed watching you play each week. Keep up the good work my lil man

You are fantastic helper. I remember how great you were when we brought G home and so eager to assist. I think you'll be the same with Caden's arrival. You want in on the action and that is awesome. It's so amazing to be able to compare how you interacted with G's baby belly and now Caden's baby belly. With G you hugged n kissed and said hi to the belly. You understood at the near age of 3 that something big was about to happen in our lives. Now at 4.5 you have questions for Caden and ask me daily how he's doing (wanting to know if he had the hiccups or kicked me and hurt me and so forth). My latest fav included the time you asked how we are going to decorate Caden's room before he comes. I told you we were gonna keep the puppies from Grayson's old room. You rebuttled with "What if he doesnt like it? I will ask him". You then propped your chin on my belly and asked Caden, "Do you want puppies in your room?" With confidence you looked up at me and told me yes he does. He likes puppies. Wheh! Good thing bc I was not about to hunt down another theme for that room. But then again-for you (if you had insisted) I would have done it, just so you could have some ownership over this new and upcoming chapter in our lives. Your immediate thought after that conversation with Caden involved when we are going to make the name sign for his door seeing as Grayson's was moved to your door once you started sharing a room. Dont worry-we will get to it. And you can help me paint and decorate it just as you did Grayson's over a year ago (which you still remeber doing and reminded me that it needs to be different from Grayson's even though we are doing puppies again!) You look forward to each dr aptmt and wonder each time when he will be 'ready to come out'. Me too, honey, me too! When we are out and about you introduce yourself to strangers and dont leave out Grayson or Caden. You are an unbelievable big bro!

I even don't mind your stubborn streak (most of the time). It is who you are! And daddy and I embrace every side of you, no matter what! It shows you have opinions you NEED to get out. STRONG opinions. Even those laced with attitude that as a teacher I know means you are just asserting yourself in this crazy household but as a mommy urks me at the most inappropriate times. And boy do you have Irish Filipino attitude! Mostly Flip tho! Just ask daddy.

I love that you entertain yourself. I can leave you for hours with toys and books and you create your own world to envelope yourself in. When with kids you are an everybody's kinda friend/playmate. Your teachers had the same thing to say about you. You're an all around kinda kid. Willing to adapt to whatever play scheme or peer personality suits your mood. You dont seem to cling to one or two pees in particular. You most def have your favs (Jackson n Marianna) but dont seem to need to be w/ them every moment of the school day. I love that about you! It aids your daddy n I with our fears you would miss you friends at Farnsworth and have trouble adjusting to the new school in the fall. I am excited to hear what peers you call "friends" in the fall.

You find adventure in everything. Any corner we turn you think is a discovery waiting to be unleashed by you! The simplest grocery store trips or errands excite you. How wonderful!

I have really enjoyed our late nite snacks. A few nites a week you awake when you hear me up at 3:30 am ish for my pee break. If I have trouble falling back asleep I end up lying there getting hungry. You creep out of your room and ask me, "Is it time for a midnite snack, mommy?" We tip toe downstairs together and endulge in cookies and milk, fruit, chocolate or a bowl of cereal. Its our own little quiet time and boy do you KNOW its special time. We chat and laugh all among whispers. Its OUR time and I dont care if it takes us a whole nother hour to fall asleep afterward. Its worth it. Will you be joining me when I am up who knows how often w/ Caden? I could prob use some company!

You are a thoughtful, organized (mommy's fault-sorry!), intelligent and compassionate boy. I would have you no other way. I love you with all my heart and you will always be my Mr. Magoo and eggroll, too. You were my first baby boy and I will never forget the feelings that rushed over me when you arrived ( a stressful delivery by the way, no wonder you continue to be stubborn to this day. I should have known!). You changed our lives for the best and will continue to do so everyday. All my love biggest big brother! I love you oodles and a google.

No comments:

Post a Comment