Sunday, November 22, 2009

A Race to the Finish Line!
















At the end of each month, during Charito's weight loss challenge, the winning individual of the contest chooses an activity for everyone to participate in together. A fun teamwork kind of event. Well, Uncle Joel won for th emonth of October and he choose for the clan to particiate in the Lincolnwood Turkey Trot (running just happened to be one of his goals for the month and he reached it!). So, while signing up Charito noticed there was a Drumstick Dash for little kids. A cute little 50 yard dash for 4 and under. I told T this morning he was going to run in a turkey race. Even though he was excited I knew he had no idea what he was actually excited about. Yet, he continued to tell us all morning he was going to a "turkey race". I knew once we arrived he could get a better picture of what he was about to participate in. He has partcipated in plenty of walks for Autism and Leukemia & Lymphoma so once the setting looked familiar it would all click. Boy, did it. He couldn't wait!




I left later than Charito bc his race began at 9:15 and T's wasn't until 10:15. He met up w/ the guys early and I picked up Maria for the kids' event. It was perfect timing. We arrived as the boys (and Najette) were finishing. We gobbled down some food and waited for T's group to be called. It all happened pretty fast (and disorganized , but whatever). Before I knew it he and I were in line behind a bunch of kids and POW off they were...chasing a man in a turkey costume! T took off so fast amongst the group I couldn't squeeze in so I just froze (teared up) and watched from a distance. Charito met him at the finish line where he received a medal! He was quite proud of himself...and we were, too. It was such a tiny event and over before we knew it but it was one of those things that made T feel like "one of the guys". He looks up to his Uncles, these amazing group of guys ( and his Aunts) that have been daddy's friends since HS. They are our family and always will be. What a fun day!

Oh, and we can't forget Grayson. He as content strutting his stuff around the land, holding onn tight to his turkey puppet and green balloon. Now that he is motion anyplace or thing is an adventure! We are in total agreement with the Disney movie UP ...(we had a marathon of it all weekend, it has got to be my number 3 fav Disney movie) "ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE!" and we Carpers will find it!

No comments:

Post a Comment