Friday, September 11, 2009

The Surreal Life


Taken the day we went shopping for new school shoes and a backpack. He really wanted to get a green one (it's his fav color...of the month)

It really is hard to believe my lil man is off to school! Since May we haveprepared for this day and I guess I didn't think it would come so quickly. He is so ready! I am even ready for it. I just continue to be shocked on how fast these moments have come about. Even with the luxury of REALLY knowing his teachers ( I have worked w/ them for several yrs) and having his classroom right down the hallway, there are moments Triston crosses my mind during the day and I have to REMIND myself he is in school (not at home). I am also SO fortunate to have Charito's work schedule in tune with T's dropoff time AND my caring friend Alysa to bring T home everyday. So lucky. It really has been a smooth process.
Here is my lil secret-I KNEW daddy would forget to take a pic of T on his first day so I suggested we take a picnic at school the day before he started, Labor Day (thanks for the idea, Alysa). We started the day out with a bike ride at the Milwaukee/Devon Forest Preserve bike trails. That was so nice. Then we packed up our McDonalds (that's what I call a fast lunch) and headed to campus. After munching ( even Grayson had his own FIRST-first chix nugget and fry. That lil animal ate 3 nuggets!) we enjoyed the playground and walked over to "his wall". This is the wall he would be lining up on each day. We had to distinguish which line he would see mommy at (for my own students) and which line would be his. While going through the motions of what would occur the very next day, I wondered how he would react to seeing me at school. Would his teacher discover his escape plans to my classroom?!
The morning of his first big day (before I left for work).

Well, I am happy to report that after a week of school he has done great and constantly tells me school is fun. I am so proud of him. And the ironic thing is-today was the first time we saw each other. I popped into his classroom to remind him to paint today (I guess he didn't want to yesterday) and he kissed me on the cheek as I whispered in his ear. Then rushed to tell his teacher, " I want to paint today!". Then I crept away. It was so wierd to see a BIG man sitting in his chair ready for snack. What a great feeling it was!

Now I just have to get used to this surreal life of working mom w/ a child in school along w/ a baby at home ready to take off on his own 2 feet! Yikes!

1 comment: