Triston has only been in school about a week and I am already on the lookout for my baby boy. Where did he go? If any of you see him around can you send him my way? It's kinda bittersweet. I will say it again...he is a lil man.
I have decided to blog about our school moments that only a mom would dwell on and think are small but unforgettable.
- First day of school-dinner table, he had so much to say. "School is fun" was the phrase of the evening.
- 2nd day of school-he tripped on the playground and scraped his knee. His teacher wrote me a note and visited me across the hall to let me know. She stated he was hesitant for a band-aid. If she hadn't of noticed it needed a band-aid he would not have said anything or been bothered. That's T! He falls down and keeps on going. She wanted to put a band-aid bc it was still bleeding. I let her know the fear of the band-aid is all my fault. Every kid remembers their first encounter with Bactine and the dreaded RRIIIIPPPP off the bandaid and I have scarred him. Put a bandaid on the kid and he limps and milks it. Leave it off and it it's as if the tumble never took place. Oddball. Later that night, Triston told me his scab was "shaped like a steak". I took a glance...yup, like a New York Strip.
- My first school gift-a fruit loop necklace. I just adored how he presented it to me, "Here, Mommy...this is for you" as he placed it over my head. He smiled with such pride and I did, too. I told him how special it made me feel and he responded, " Tomorrow I have more. I painted for you, but it needs to dry first". You mean there was more to look forward to?!
- First official school painting. A cute little hodge podge of colors.


- Every night I lay out his clothes for the next day ( we really haven't gotten into that battle of "I WANT TO WEAR THIS NOW" so I just pick an outfit out for him or choose 2 and he makes the choice). Our morning routine has gone so well since day one. My favorite part right before I walk out the door is, "Mommy, what shoes do I wear today? Hmm, let's see...." as he opens the closet and we choose together. What can I say? He loves shoes just as much as a lady! And believe me, I thought 2 pairs were a good start for the school year (seeing as he will be ready for new size by December. He is the typical every 3 mos feet grower!) So, we picked out the Merrels that were casual but autumn-like tough and the laced gym shoes to get him practicing how to tie. Both on sale ( a great sale!) at Stride Rite. The third pair popped up when Charito went looking for a new pair of gym shoes this weekend and ended up at Famous Footwear and the buy one get one half off sale. I glanced for myself but I am not one to go for me. When I see a deal or have the money I opt to spend on the kids. It is just how I am. I don't care too much bout myself (for proof, see how I show up to work on some days). I mosied over to the kids section and found a pair of Nikes that were on sale and I could still take advantage of the half off incentive. I got those babies for $13. How does anyone pass up these deal on shoes? No one should. So, until he grows up a size he is happy in shoe land each morning.



- Yesterday was a big day for him. He had gym class for the first time, had to bring snack and had show and tell. We prepared all of this on Sunday. At Jewel I asked him if he wanted to bring his friends a fruit or a vegetable. He said both. So we chose raisins and carrot sticks. For gym class I explained to him that Mr. G, the gym teacher, wants kids to wear red on gym day. I pulled out 2 red (with various prints on them. We will buy our Farnsworth tee next week) shirts for him to pick one. He chose his Elmo shirt (and his newest pair of gym shoes. Which makes me think about the day he was was about 1.5 and I found him working his tiny legs into my knee high, black boots and walking round his bedroom in them. Priceless!). Then for show and tell I picked out 5 fav items (that were not the size of enormous pirate ships or train tunnels or dinosaurs) for him to choose from. It was a done deal as soon as he saw his bullet train. So I previewed the typical questions with him-What is it? Who gave it to you? Why do you like it? He was ready! After school I asked him how it went and he told me he told them lots of things and it was fun. There is a recurring theme here-FUN. I later asked his teachers how he did and they told me he shared the bullet train from Uncle Joel all the way from Japan. What a big day for the books.
- I am so thrilled he is enjoying it as much as he does. It is so wierd to see my chatterbox so serious when he is in school, though. Anytime I see him in the halls or in his classroom (I stop in to give him a message or conference with my coworkers) he is so busy. Too busy to even notice my staredown to get his attention. He is SO attentive to the teachers. I like that. He cares what they think and seems to understand it is important...and FUN. I am pleased to see and hear that he is as good a boy there (so far) as he is at home. It really makes me feel like I am doing my job the right way (if there is a right way?). He is branching out in his getting-bigger world and soaking up life. As my girlfriend Becky put it, we are 'sharing him with others"'. What a wise statement, Becky! So true. Letting him go to touch others with his awsomeness, compassion, intelligence and FISH-flair.





No comments:
Post a Comment