Friday, February 20, 2009

Heart Day


I usually do not care much about this holiday other than telling those I love them that I love them even more. But, I really enjoyed Valentine's Day this year. It was so relaxed. No rush. No crowds.
Triston even got into it! I explained what the day meant and he listed everyone he wanted to make cards for. I wrote out each person's name on the front of the card and he traced each letter ( as a special education teacher I continue to be amazed by his visual-motor and fine motor skills ever since he was a tiny one) with such attention to detail and pride. I am kicking myself for not taking pictures of his drawings before I sent them off! He drew this fantastic pirate ship and a pirate with boots and 4 hats...still liking pirates these days.
Charito asked me what I wanted to do and I said, "Have friends over!". So I figured out who didn't succumb to the typical V-day night out and had them over. I cooked a prime rib, glazed cauliflower and roasted potatoes. Maria, Kevin and Joel joined us. Triston just loves when they come over!
The morning started out with a little surprise for Triston. I placed a box of chocolate in the living room the night before. When he woke up he told all of us (even Grayson and Bryley), "Happy Valentine's Day!" It really warmed my heart. I kinda got teary-eyed. He is getting to be such a big boy with so much to share and so much affection to spread. I told him to go downstairs for a surprise. Charito looked confused bc he did not know what I had set up. This was only the beginning of gifts for the day (to my own surprise!).
You would have thought it was Christmas morning! He saw his OWN heart-shaped box of chocolate and was smiling ear to ear. His sweets are usually rationed so this box was a gold mine to him.

Shortly after that bit of excitement Charito decided he HAD to go out for awhile. I knew this meant he was running out to get me something! I know him too well. Besides, we needed formula anyway. So off he went. But as soon as he left I had a thought..."I bet he is going to buy the 'once in awhile' chocolate covered strawberries". These are the chocolate-covered strawberries that he has bought for me since we started dating 15+ yrs ago! I remember so many weekends when he would drive down to EIU to visit and he would have a box for me! I usually receive them for our anniversary (anniversaries actually bc we still celebrate our dating anniversary as well as our wedding anniversary), birthday or silly Hallmark holiday. It's funny because we still try and catch each other on the 18th of every month to wish a happy anniversary, something we have done since way back when. It's just our little thing that keeps us laughing. This little chocolate joint has remained at Golf Mill mall all these years...and the price has sky rocketed. Those babies used to cost $15 a box and now they are up to $25! That is a quick $25 for me bc I finish those suckers in one sitting! So with all that running through my head as the thought entered I called him up and told him to forget it...I certainly didn't need them. He laughed bc I had figured out his plan! He did manage to arrive with beautiful roses!

So while Charito did his thing Triston, Grayson and I received a nice surprise from the mailcarrier, Willie. The doorbell rang and when I answered it Triston saw Willie with a box and asked, "Is that a special delivery for me?" I couldn't help but laugh aloud! Willie responded yes and handed it to him. It was a huge box from Gramma and Bonka in Arkansas. It was full of goodies for everyone. Mommy and Daddy got candy. Triston was happy to see a variety of art activities and Grayson got to don an outfit titled "My Heart Belongs to Mommy!" It was so sweet of my parents to think of all of us. I even received a separate Vday card from my dad that made me cry. Yes, I am a daddy's girl and proud of it! Always.


He really enjoyed painting his Tinkerbell pages.


He was so quiet as he worked on it. The only time he spoke was when he described to me what color he was choosing and why. It is funny to listen to his reasonings these days.


Uncle Kevin always makes G smile. We even heard the "oh, so 'loud' " laugh (yes, still waiting for maximum volume).

Even Bryley was in the lovin' spirit! She adores Uncle Joel. He is a our house/dogsitter when we go away and as human-like as it sounds...all we have to do is mention Uncle Joel is coming over and she barrels to the window and waits for him! And when he sleeps over she ditches Charito and I (and the big bed) to cuddle with Joel on the couch. We are so lucky to have Joel who loves her as if she was his own!


It really was the perfect weekend. I am finding that as much as I love adventures I soooo love my low key weekends. So many laughs. So much time with friends and family. Just the way I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment