Tuesday, January 3, 2012

SIX







He woke to this the morning of Dec 15th.





 When did this tiny Mr. Magoo become my loving, confident, intelligent, courageous 6 yr old?



Dear Triston,

You STILL amaze me each and everyday. Your imagination and thirst for knowledge reaches beyond the clouds. I hope the fire never goes out. I hope you realize how special you are and I will continue to tell you as often as I can. You are destined for great things baby boy. What you have survived so far only makes you stronger and more compassionate than I could ever imagined. You prove that to me everyday and above all with your recent endeavor to "Bring Christmas to the hospital". You have such an insight to another part of life that only you see. You are a precious old soul and I love you for that. I call you my little nerd. I don't say it in a mean way. I am proud of the way you find an educational moment in all that you do. You naturally apply previous knowledge to new experiences and make the best of them. You always WOW me.

You continue to love all things trains, pirates, animal/plant life, solar system, geography, biology, dinosaurs, mechanics and history. You have pumped it up to a new level this past year w a detailed curiosity into the workings and existence of these things. You HAVE TO know the hows and whys, to the point where we have had to research information together bc we are moving way past my own general knowledge. Daddy has come in handy for the engineer like aspects to some of your questions, particularly your recent need for the exact terminology of things like momentum, condensation and the various measuring tools like daddy using in his lab at work. Is MIT in your future bc I would need to start saving like 10 yrs ago?!

Santa filled your library with tons of science, LEGO imagination, and chapter books like Jigsaw Jones Mystery Detective, Magic Treehouse and Junie B Jones. We flew through the Nate the Great series this fall and needed to step it up. Your kindergarten teacher says you are reading beyond a 3rd grade level. You have no idea how proud that makes us feel. We have even enjoyed Treasure Island and Wind in the Willows. We recently saw The Adventures of Tin Tin at the theatre and I think we will start looking into that series as well. You LOVE a good mystery! You still replicate that image of my 1 yr old surrounded by a mound of books in your room almost everyday. How often do I find you nose in a book?! Love it. I was the same way.

Kindergarten social skills and maturation brought about some new interests these past few months-Legos ( you just have to complete the instruction booklets as is but then you come w some super creations yourself-I love watching your wheels turn), superheroes, karate n swords n fighting (my favs ). It was time for mommy to let go of my baby and give in. You were ready socially and who was I to deny you some new adventures. And as much as I am not into the fighting thing you really handle it well. You are not like some kids that eat and breathe this stuff. You dabble in it enough to stay afloat w your pals and still hold onto your affectionate side along the way. I appreciate that about you. You are so affectionate with others and your family. If you could truly understand how much you light up the eyes of your bros, it is unbelievable. And yet you tap into that softer side through shows like My Little Pony, Strawberry Shortcake and Jem (yes, we have had some great bonding times over my childhood pasts!) We came across these shows through commercials, you expressed interest and we gave them a try. Grayson loves to watch MLP n SS near bedtime. It calms his down. I don't see these shows as only girlie shows. As I observe you watching them and asking questions and discussing later.  I see what you get from them. You crave stories w a moral, a lesson. How often to the action-packed flashing lights of a superhero show tell of sharing, friendship, responsibility and inner conflicts? That is what you like about shows like these. And I can tell you share your ideas w the girls at school, another reason why I think you like the shows. You want to be able to interact w both genders and what they are into. You have always been a social butterfly, fluttering from house play and dolls to trains and blocks.You are such an all around kinda guy! Another thing I love about you! You have formed some great friendships this year.

You have become a little more sensitive this year (gee I wonder why!). Social-emotional milestones are colliding w cancer chaos and you definitely have your moments. Whether it is a meltdown (and boy are you stubborn my love! Your insistence for independence and the "I know already complex" can be tiring. You have mastered this grumpy face and attitude that is rather frustrating but I know it is a phase, but I am eager to move onto the next sometimes ) or pure sadness we are there for you.Often when you are due for a good cry so am I-we hold each other and wipe each other's tears. I hate to see you hurting but we all have our ups and downs. You even agree that we do feel better afterward. You prefer not to watch some of the shows we used to like House or medical science or any show that is nearing a sad part. You detect it through the change in music, character's emotions, etc and ask for me to change the channel. You don't want to see other's hurting. You look at me w teary-eyes and ask to change the subject.One day I thought you would enjoy the historical aspect of Titanic (the Leo version) and once the climax began you looked at me with tears and told me you did not want to watch anymore. I cried for you. Your heart is bigger than what that body can hold sometimes, I swear. So instead we read about it.

As for your bday this year it was pretty low key. You had a mini celebration at school when I sent a snack. I wasn't able to attend that day but the next day I was there hosting your holiday party at school. I love the way you look at me when I spend time w you at school. You melt me! The eve of your bday it was just us 5 (extended family were all working). You chose taquitos and fresh veggies for dinner and a cookie platter and single cucpcake to fit the candle for dessert (you still aren't a huge cake fan but you are really getting into cheesecake. Just like daddy!) It was such a nice, relaxing evening. You were so content.

 T is in a hurry to eat up, Caden can't keep his eyes off that cupcake and G is still hamming it up!

 Our frosting tradition since his first bday!




 My little Jacques Cousteau and his love for marine biology. He requested a Shark Bite Bay Ocean Explorer, complete with figurines w scuba gear and science equipment "just like they use to scuba dive on tv."


Angry birds hats made by Aunt Vicky!



We also celebrated with your classmates and close friends at Exploritorium in Skokie. They were so accomodating to your brother's needs last year that it was a no brainer to have it there again. You guys love it there! We shared Grayson's bday, too.

 Caden is loving baby Matteo. He always gives him this sideways look like "hey, little guy I'm your pal". Little, HA! Caden is 17 mos and Matteo is 10 mos! Same height and weight. Oh Caden!


Grayson loves his Eileen!




Your smile said it all. Watching you flit around from friend to friend was priceless. Welcome to SIX big boy! I just know you will tackle it with a sense of adventure as you do everything. And we will be by your side. Just know that you are one awesome kiddo and we are excited to see what year 6 holds for you! I wish bigger and better things for us all. You totally deserve it, Eggroll! \
Love, Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment