Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Triston's Preschool Graduation Luncheon



My eldest is off to Kindergarten! Unbelievable how time goes by! It was an emotional day for me. So many moments, reminders of how much he is grown in every way. I watched moments in the slide show that undoubtedly rewound time-the whens and wheres of our leukemia world. I hated that here it was his day and yet leukemia is at the forefront of almost every memory. A pic of T would appear and I would recall the season, month, hospital visit or drugs we were lining up on the counter that month. I know it is inevitable, these tainted cancer thoughts, but it is even more amazing to me what Triston was able to accomplish during it all. I can count 3 inappropriate, unlikeable mommy/school moments all year and they were microscopic compared to what I deal w on a daily basis. But each one still hurt me, pained me as a mom, like nails on a chalkboard. To question each episode for what was T finding his way as a 5 yr old or leukemia-induced. But he succeeded and blew me away as the mos went by. And to hear his teachers tell me THEY were the ones blessed to have him made my knees tremble. Don't they know they are the ones who helped me survive his year? I reminded them that bc of them I didn't worry about him while G and I stayed in the hospital. I had a crew of caring woman to watch over him, my own guardian angels. How lucky could I get?! I am so excited to see what next year has to offer us.
I gave each teacher and staff member, including the amazing principal, a plant or flower of some sort. I added a ruler and a phrase "Thank you for teaching me to grow!" that Triston delivered himself. I made sure to let each lady and the prinicipal know that I could not have asked for a more phenomenal educational team to guide my boy through such a year. No matter how many times I offered that sentence I swelled up with tears. I will be forever grateful to the one of a kind staff at his school. This year is forever etched in our minds, Triston's as well.
He actually misses school right now. The first week and a half of summer are a bit of a struggle for him right now. For 9 mos he had his own private world to submerge into each and everyday and now the lack of brainiac-stimuli and socialization is getting to him (and ME!). He is really pushing buttons but I know it will get better once I am out of work next week. It needs to-we all need a break and after all the hard work he put into his school year he deserves some fun, too. Congratulations to the most scrumptious Eggroll in my world! I love you, T!

No comments:

Post a Comment