Thursday, February 3, 2011

SNOW DAYS!!!!

Let me tell you...I cannot believe how giddy it felt to discover we had no work/school the yesterday. And then to be told we were off again today!! A CPS miracle! And well-deserved. Tiny surprises sprinkled into my week. Tiny moments of TIME with my boys! Tuesday night I came up with a plan to knock out the list of valentines we needed to get out (grandma, grandpa, Ayden, Lula n Lola and Lula Mel). We were going to spend the day crafting and playing and cleaning.
While looking for art supplies I found these! Thanks for the reminder, Becky! Their Auntie KT bought them for xmas last year and I finally remembered we had them and where!
T mastered his hearts with the arrow through them. He saw them hanging in the neighborhood and stated we needed them in our window. And then he wanted to write I LOVE YOU for daddy to see while he was plowing snow. So sweet!


Grayson said he was writing his letters!
As I rummaged through the art bin to collect materials, I recalled an idea I read in some random woman's blog last week. She created, and I mean CREATED, this gorgeous wooden stand with beautiful mailboxes decorated all valentiney. She wrote of how she would leave a note or treat daily for each of her kids counting down to Valentine's day. She stressed the idea of Valentines being a time of sharing notes, gifts and words for our loved ones. Letting them know how much they mean to us. I wanted to do something similar. But being snowmaggedon outside I knew my original plan of beautiful, storebought mailboxes to use yr after yr was not going to happen. I was not going to attempt a trip to Michaels! Then I thought of kleenux boxes. Perfect! I found 2 child-friendly size boxes (for their hands in and out) and proceeded to empty them out (they were brand new! I just put the tissue in a tupperware container. I figured we go thru it quick enuf, no biggie). I pre-cut the right size papers for covering up the ugly box designs and left the rest of the decorating to the kids. I love seeing a table full of crafty options and kids wheels spinning with concentration! They loved it! I think G was more into the fact that he was getting to use the same tools as T. I even let him cut!!



As a teacher and mom-I was happy to see my lack of practice these days with T's cutting skills haven't regressed. Whew! I think the last time we did any kind of crafting was in September!

Snip, snip, snip on the black line

He did great for his first time!

I covered up his box for him with the background and let him add snipped squares and stickers himself.

Bump, bump the paper on so it sticks tight.


T writing his numnbers. I was so impressed! My money is well spent.
He came up with the best idea---I was describing the idea behind the box, that each morning he and G would find a love message or treat all leading up to V-day. He says, " I have an idea. How bout we write the numbers to have a count down." Brilliant. I asked how will we know it's a countdown? He replied we would cross out the numbers everyday. Love the way his mind works!

G "writing " his numbers. He is really good about understanding to write atop the design, letter, etc. Our hospital games even proved he knew most of the letters in his name.

T's completed valentine box

Snow Fun
G did not go out bc his needle and tubey are in and I was not taking my chances, along with NOT wanting to irritate his cold. He did not complain though. I think the snow was overwhelming to him. He was happy watching us play while he stayed toasty.

Bryley stuck in the snow!

Mountain climbing

Made it!

Round 2

I threw him up in the air...plop! With that plop he lost his boot! It took us awhile to find it and by then his sock was soaked. Time to go in!

Found it!

That was our Wednesday. So much packed into one day. But it didn't feel out of control. Chill and relaxed. I was all ready to send them off to bed by 7 pm when I realized we didn't have work or school today! They were allowed to stay up a bit longer before I couldn't take it anymore. As much fun as we had, the squabbles still exist. The annoying behaviors still continue. My patience seems to drain more and more each day. I was blessed to spend the day with them. I know that. But they still get under my skin sometimes. Everyones tired nerves peak at the same time and bedtime cannot come soon enough! And well, you know how much bedtime routines get to me! Especially with this phase and the number of medications and how we have to administer them this week. Scheduling the perfect timing is exhausting.
Today's snow day we accomplished laundry, book time (T is loving those Black Lagoon books, I really think that 5 yr old humor is kicking in and he gets the jokes. Early on I thought he was just laughing bc the pic looked goofy or I explained the humor behind a sentence, but now he explains it to me. He caught onto the pattern of jokes!), a new Spelling Bee card game from Auntie Najette, home-made breakfasts two days in a row (as opposed to a cereal bar, yogurt or fruit), me holding back the need to swear or yell out stupid or idiot (kiddie swear words) and lots of lovin! I really want a nap but I will wait for early bedtimes instead.
The weekend is one day closer and I am looking forward to Saturday nap day. Not much else planned and as tired as I am, I'm ok with that this time.
All in all, a surprisingly giddy two days with tons of time with the kids. Limited worries and plenty of I LOVE YOUs to go around!

No comments:

Post a Comment